Customer Service
Bill Information
  • Meters are read monthly and customers are billed on that basis. Sometimes the consumption period may be longer than the normal twenty-eight (28) days due to the number of weeks in a month.
  • Bills are calculated based on consumption and in accordance with the county rate schedule. Customers will be responsible for all water flowing through the meter. Please remember that usage tends to increase during holidays and summer months. During the summer months, the consumption may increase due to irrigating the lawn, shrubbery, flowers, or garden, filling pools or hot tubs, washing automobiles and increased loads of laundry. Increased consumption may also be due to leaking faucets, either inside or outside the home. Please see the section below pertaining to leaks for more information.
  • For more information on water & sewer rates, please click on the Rate Schedules tab.

Union County accepts cash, money order, check, certified check or credit card payments. The credit cards accepted are VISA, American Express, Master Card or Discover. You may pay in person at the Tax Collector's Office, which is located in the Government Center building (the nine story building beside the Judicial Center). For your convenience after hours, a drop box is located behind the Tax Office with the entrance off of Charlotte Avenue. The silver box with the black lettering is marked "UNION COUNTY". Payments deposited in the drop box will be posted on the next business day. You may also mail payments to the following address:

Union County
PO Box 580365
Charlotte, NC 28258-0365
For proper credit please include your account number.

Union County also offers an automatic bank draft plan for customers that have a checking account with a financial institution that is a member of the Automated Clearing House Association. Under this plan your checking account will automatically be drafted each month for the net amount of your utility bill. Each month you will receive your bill with a printed message that states your bank account will be drafted on the due date.

The draft will occur on the bill due date. If the date is on a weekend or holiday, then the draft will occur on the last business workday prior to your due date.

If you are interested in participating in this program, please download the Draft Authorization Form and complete it according to the instructions. Remember to attach a voided check to the form and return to Union County Public Works at 500 North Main Street, Suite 500, Monroe NC 28112. If you have questions or need additional information, please call 704-296-4210 or click on this link to email us at

  • Log-In to Utility Online Account
  • Register for Utility Online Account Access (you will need a copy of your bill)

Benefits of Online Account Access:

You can view:
  • your current bill
  • your bill history
  • your water consumption
  • charges and payments to your account
  • Personal Check or Credit Card - No Charge for Personal Check Payments






    • Customers who wish to connect to an existing County service can download and complete a Service Work Order Request Form to mail in.  Complete both pages, and submit with the appropriate fees. See form for mailing address.  All work orders need to be received at Public Works at least 2 business days prior to the requested service date.
    • To establish a new connection to the Union County water and/or sewer systems, please complete a Tap Application.  Complete and submit the application with appropriate fees.  See form for mailing address.  (Installation of new taps may take up to four weeks.)
    • Customers may also come into the office to pickup and complete this forms.
    • You will be asked to provide your name, the physical address of the property, your mailing address (if different from physical address), home and work telephone numbers, date of birth, driver’s license number, and the date you would like the service to begin. The previous owner’s name or the name of the last person occupying the residence is also helpful, but not required.
    • A service charge will be added to the first bill.  Customers who rent or lease property will be required to pay a rental deposit.  Deposits will be applied to your final bill.  Credit balances over $1.00 will be refunded, provided we have an accurate forwarding address on file.
    • Please note:  All new water taps require a plumber's permit from Building Code Enforcement prior to the installation of the water tap.
    • Customers who wish to discontinue an existing County service may download and complete a Service Disconnect Order Form.  When completed, mail to the address on the form.
    • Customers may also come into the office to pickup and complete this form.
    • All disconnect orders need to be received at Public Works at least 2 days prior to the requested service date.
    • You will be asked to provide a forwarding address for your final bill and/or any refundable rental deposit.
    • If your account is set up for an automatic bank draft, please notify us by clicking on this link to email us at or call Customer Service at 704-296-4210.
    • Water and Sewer payments are due in full upon receipt and past due after the given date on the bill.
    • A late fee of ten dollars ($10.00) or 5% of the balance, whichever is greater, will be applied if bill is not paid by the due date.
    • A fee of $25.00 will be charged in the event of a returned payment item.
    • If the past due amount is not received by the due date, a disconnect processing fee of $50.00 will be added to the account. No second notice will be given and service will be disconnected. 
    • Once account is scheduled for disconnect, the entire account balance (including the $50.00 disconnect processing fee) must be paid in order to maintain or restore service.  Only cash, credit card, money order or certified check will be accepted during the time that the account is scheduled for disconnect.  IN ORDER FOR SERVICE TO BE RESTORED SAME DAY, CUSTOMER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR COMMUNICATING PROOF OF PAYMENT TO A UCPW CUSTOMER SERVICE REP BEFORE 4 P.M.  NO SERVICE WILL BE RESTORED AFTER 4 P.M. ON WEEKDAYS,  OR ON WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS.
    • An additional fee of $10.00 will be charged for meter locks/tags which have been broken, damaged, or removed.
    • For an account which continues to be delinquent and the lock/tag was previously broken, the water meter will be removed.  Twenty-five ($25.00) service fees will be charged for both pulling the meter and resetting the meter.
      • Cash payments must be made at the Tax Collector's Office located in the Union County Government Center - 500 N. Main St., First Floor.
      • Credit card payments (VISA, Master Card or Discover) may be made by calling 704-292-2537. You will be prompted for the following information:
        • Utility account number. Your account number can be found on your most recent billing. When prompted, enter all the numbers.
        • Occupant number.
        • Street Address Number(s).
        • Amount of your payment.
        • Once you have entered all the information, you will be informed of the amount of the fee charged by the credit card company for the processing of your transaction. After acceptance, you will be given a confirmation number.
        • For reconnection of your water service, you must call Customer Service at 704-296-4210 before 4 p.m. and provide them with the confirmation number you were given by the credit card company.
    Hours of Operation
    Hours of Operation

    Our customer service office is located on the 4th floor of the Union County Government Center and our hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Public Works office is typically closed on federal holidays. Please call 704-296-4210 or check our website ( or the local newspaper for closings.

    Stay Connected
    Stay Connected

    Union County Public Works
    500 N. Main Street, Suite 500
    Monroe, NC 28112

    Customer Service
    Phone:  704-296-4210    
    Fax:  704-296-4231

    Copyright 2014 by Union County, North Carolina

    Union County North Carolina does not endorse content on external sites (Please read Disclaimer)  ::   Webmaster