Permit Applications


To secure a residential building permit you must submit a completed building permit application, (forms are available in our office or you can print the form in PDF format directly from this web site - see below). Along with this application you must either have an accessibility letter from Public Works of sewer and/or water (this letter may be required to come from the appropriate Planning jurisdiction), a septic permit or septic waiver from Environmental Health, zoning approval (parcels under the jurisdiction of the county will be handled in our office), lien agent and workers comp information if the job is over $30,000 (see news tab on main page).

Cost of Residential permit is based upon square footage, (heated and/or unheated) Please reference fee schedule below.



For commercial projects please review the fee schedule,checklist AND plan submittal requirements below:

Please note: Additional plan review fees (if applicable) must be collected at time of submittal. Examples are Fire, Public Works Engineering, Planning and/or Stormwater.  Please refer to the fee schedules below.


Fee Schedules

Code Enforcement

Fire Marshal


Public Works



Additional Resources

Commercial Development Submittal Checklist

Union County Modular Classroom Submittal Requirements

Union County Plan Submittal Requirements

Copy of Appendix B

Union County Sign Permit Submittal Requirements


Permit Application Forms

Hours of Operation

Our office hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday.

Inspector's field hours are 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. 

Call 704-283-3816 for any customer service questions related to permitting and to schedule inspections between the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. or if you are a contractor in Union County you can register with our online service (located under the Resources tab below) to schedule inspections until 7 p.m.

Residential code questions should be directed to Tom Helms at 704-283-3549 for Building, Mechanical and Plumbing and Mark Griffin at 704-283-3643 for Electrical.  Commercial Building, Mechanical and Plumbing code questions should be directed to Terry Griffin at 704-283-3594.

Building Code Enforcement
500 North Main St.
Monroe, NC 28112
704-283-3816 (phone) 
Copyright 2016 by Union County, North Carolina

Union County North Carolina does not endorse content on external sites (Please read Disclaimer)  ::   Webmaster