Union County Public Works owns and operates a construction & demolition landfill, and a solid waste transfer station located at 2125 Austin Chaney Road. For the convenience of County residents Public Works also operates Satellite Collection Container Sites located in various locations throughout the County.
Monday through Saturday, upon entering the landfill main entrance, all loads go to the scale house located directly to the left of the main gate where you will obtain pricing and further instructions. All incoming and outgoing vehicles are to stay to the right on the scales at all times. The landfill is closed on Sunday.
For the safety of our customers we require that children remain in the vehicle while on landfill premises.
Please observe the 15 mph speed limit while on premises.
State law requires all loads to be secured (strapped down and/or covered) while on state maintained roads to prevent littering upon roadways.
Union County Public Works encourages all citizens to recycle. Recycling is an important way businesses and citizens can actively participate in extending the life of our environment.
Union County Public Works urges all citizens to "Curtail Your Junk Mail". For the cost of a postage stamp you may be able to reduce your junk mail by as much as 65%. For more information, follow this link to the web site of NC Division of Pollution Prevention & Environmental Assistance at www.p2pays.org.
RATES EFFECTIVE AS OF AUGUST 1, 2013
HOUSEHOLD BAGGED GARBAGE
- Small Garbage Bag (up to 13 gallons) - $0.75 / bag
- Large Garbage Bag (14 to 33 gallons) - $1.25 / bag
- Extra-Large Garbage Bag (34 to a maximum of 55 gallons) - $5.00 / bag
MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE (MSW) TIPPING FEE* - $42.00 / ton
*Minimum fee for MSW is $5.00 per vehicle
CONSTRUCTION & DEMOLITION MATERIALS (C&D) TIPPING FEE - $36.00 / ton
YARD WASTE & PALLETS TIPPING FEE - $35.00 / ton
SCRAP TIRES NOT ELIGIBLE FOR FREE DISPOSAL** - $82.00 / ton
**Five or fewer tires are eligible for free disposal. Quantities in excess of five tires not generated through the normal course of business may be eligible for free disposal. Contact the Recycling Office at 704-296-4213 for more information.
Late Fee – Union County will assess late fees on credit accounts not paid by the statement due date. The minimum late fee will be $5.00 or 1.5% of late balance whichever is greater.
Union County offers FREE disposal of Recyclables and Hazardous Household Waste to County residents. Businesses are eligible for free disposal of recyclables only. Union County no longer offers credits for recyclables. For a detailed list of items and locations where they will be accepted, please visit the links above or call 704-296-4213 for more information.
Helpful hint - Waste is separated into the following categories and priced at different rates. Each category goes to a different area in this facility. It is therefore suggested that your load be separated instead of mixed, with municipal solid waste being on the top for unloading first. This will make for less work for you unloading, and save you time.
For the Rates and Fees of the services listed below please click on the the Rates tab.
- Municipal Solid Waste - bagged household garbage, furniture, and other assorted items. No liquids or hazardous wastes will be accepted.
- Animal Carcasses - entrance for this area is on the left on Austin Chaney Rd just before the main entrance to the landfill, and is open Monday through Friday until 12:00 noon. The people bringing the carcasses are responsible for unloading. This service is offered at no cost. Animals can also be taken to Enterprise Rendering in Oakboro, NC at no charge, 6 days per week, 24 hours per day. For further information or directions to their facility please call (704) 485-3018. PLEASE NOTE: Animals that are not accepted at the landfill are goats, cows, and deer. These ARE accepted at Valley Proteins in Anson County (704) 694-3701.
- Yard Waste - materials consist of grass clippings, leaves, limbs, Christmas trees and natural vegetation, and cannot have any other materials or debris mixed in (no trash, landscape timbers, etc). Bagged clippings or leaves will have to be dumped out of the bag by the individual. A container for disposal of bags is located in that area for your convenience. Waste must be placed at specified location on landfill property.
- Pallets - Accepted in the yard waste area. Pallets must be free of any other debris, including cardboard.
- Construction/demolition debris - materials used to build a structure (such as wood, windows, shingles etc) or demolition debris from the same. Sheet rock mud is acceptable if completely dried up, and concrete is accepted in pieces no larger than a concrete block.
- White Goods & Non Ferrous Metals - Household Appliances such as Refrigerators, Freezers, Hot Water Heaters, Washers, and Dryers. Refrigerators and freezers must be empty of all contents. Non ferrous metals includes such items as bicycles, swing sets, grills, and tin roofing. These are accepted only at the Landfill. Metals for recycling, are accepted at no cost. Fence wire, metal bands, gas cans and propane bottles are not accepted for recycling.
- Tires - If more than 5 tires, call (704) 296-4213 for available space prior to bringing. Most tire disposal is free. Call for details on cost (if any) of tire disposal for individuals. Tires must be removed from the rim and must be stacked by the individual properly in our tire trailer.
- Recyclable Items - Paper, plastics, cans etc. For more information on acceptable items, instructions on how to properly prepare materials for recycling, and the locations accepted at, visit our page on Recycling In Union County. Proper materials prepared for recycling are disposed of at no cost.
If you have any questions regarding acceptable items at the Landfill or any collection site, please call the Landfill Office at (704) 233-5334 or the Recycling Office at (704) 296-4213.
For more information on municipal solid waste issues use this link to visit the Region 8 EPA website @ www.p2pays.org or the NC Department of Environmental & Natural Resources.
All vehicles bringing loads into the Landfill & Transfer Station are required by North Carolina law to be secured or loaded as to prevent any of its load from dropping, sifting, leaking, or otherwise falling from the vehicle in which it is loaded.
The picture on the left shows an example of an unsecured load, and the picture to the right illustrates a properly secured load. To report an unsecured load call 704-289-1591.
Proactive, not Reactive
Our main goal is the reduction of littering on our roads and the elimination of illegal dumpsites. This will be accomplished through educational initiatives, as well as criminal enforcement.
The citizens of Union County can be very active in helping to curb littering and illegal dumping by doing the following:
- If you see someone dumping call Union County Communications at (704) 289-1591 and give them as much information about the vehicle, persons dumping or any information that would help to locate and prosecute the violators.
- If you see someone littering, while driving, write down the tag number and I will locate the vehicle and follow up on the information. I can be contacted at the numbers listed above.
Together we can help keep Sweet Union clean!
Union County now contracts through Mecklenburg County Solid Waste for the free disposal of household hazardous waste for Union County residents (no businesses) at the following locations:
- Hickory Grove Recycling Center
8007 Pence Road
Directions: Take Hwy 74 West towards Charlotte, turn right on Albemarle Road (going away from Charlotte) make a left at Harrisburg Rd (not Harris Blvd.) There will be a BP service station and a Wal-Mart on your left. Turn left onto Pence Rd (just before the railroad tracks). Turn right about 1/2 mile into recycling center entrance.
Hours: Monday- Saturday; 7am - 4pm
- Foxhole Recycling Center
17131 Lancaster Highway
Directions: Take Hwy 74 West towards Charlotte, exit onto 485 West, exit Johnston Rd., go south on Johnston Rd. (US 521) almost to the SC border. The Foxhole's entrance is the last left turn before the border.
Hours: Monday - Saturday, 7a.m.-4 p.m.
Paint, thinners, strippers, solvents, flammable oils, gas, kerosene, pesticides, cleaning agents, household batteries (alkaline and nickel-cadmium), lead acid batteries, photographic chemicals, aerosol cans, fluorescent light bulbs, pool chemicals, unknown chemicals.
Pressurized gas cylinders greater than 20 pounds, ammunition, gun powder, explosives, smoke detectors, radioactive materials, bio-infectious material.
How to Store and Pack Materials for Disposal:
- Store material in its original container.
- Label contents clearly.
- Never mix different or unknown chemicals.
- Keep away from heat.
- Be sure containers do not leak.
- Pack securely in a sturdy box for transporting.
For additional information go to the Mecklenburg County Household Hazardous Waste Program web site.
Union County still recommends that citizens save time and money by drying their paint completely. You can pour out on cardboard or mix with kitty litter, and dry until it is solid. The dried product will be acceptable in the trash for Union County. If you have additional questions feel free to call the Landfill Office at (704) 233-5334.
The Union County Solid Waste Department operates six satellite collection container sites throughout Union County. The New Salem site is open on Saturdays from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. All other sites are open on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Facilities are set up to accept only bagged household garbage and household recyclable materials. All other items must be brought to the main landfill. Click on the Landfill Fees tabs for rates. Recyclables and used motor oil (where accepted) are free of charge. No bills larger than $10 will be accepted.
All children must remain in the vehicle while on collection site premises. For your safety we require that customers remain off of the wall while disposing of items.
Union County Landfill
2125 Austin Chaney Rd
Wingate, NC 28174
Armfield Mill Collection Site
5109 Armfield Mill Rd
Monroe, NC 28112
- Parkwood Collection Site
3214 Parkwood School Rd
Monroe, NC 28112
- Piedmont Collection Site
3005 Love Mill Rd
Monroe, NC 28110
- Sun Valley Collection Site
1407 Wesley Chapel Rd
Indian Trail, NC 28079
- White Store Collection Site
4517 White Store Rd
Marshville NC 28103
- New Salem Collection Site
7910 Hwy 218
Marshville, NC 28103
Monday thru Friday: 7 am - 4 pm
Saturday: 8 am - Noon
Except: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day
Landfill & Transfer Station
2125 Austin Chaney Road
Wingate, NC 28174
704-233-5334 - Landfill Office
704-296-4213 - Recycling