Skip to content

Union County, North Carolina

Image banner

Clerk of Courts

Clerk of Superior Court

J.R. Rowell
Phone: 704-698-3100
Fax: 704-698-3101


Phone: 704-292-2746

See full contact directory

What clinical services do we provide?

  • Children’s Health
  • Women’s Health
  • General Health
  • WIC
  • Medical Records

What community services do we provide?

  • ABC (About Breast Cancer)
  • Breast Feeding Peer Counselor
  • Care Coordination for Children
  • Child Care Health Consultant Program
  • Community Health Education
  • Parenting with a Purpose
  • Pregnancy Care Management
  • Public Health Preparedness
  • Vital Records

What are Union County’s privacy practices?

All patient services are confidential as required by North Carolina and federal law.

Communicable Disease Control Program

Communicable disease is defined as "illness due to a specific infectious agent or its toxic products that arises through transmission of that agent or its products from an infected person, animal, or reservoir to a susceptible host, either directly or indirectly through an intermediate plant or animal host, vector, or the inanimate environment." Communicable disease pathogens include bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and prions.

Communicable diseases can have a significant impact on the population. The surveillance and control of such diseases is an important part of protecting the public's health. The Communicable Disease program primarily deals with infectious diseases that are reportable by law.

The program also deals with other communicable diseases of public health significance, such as:

  • Influenza
  • Norovirus infection
  • Certain healthcare-associated infections.

For additional information please visit the NC Communicable Disease website.

The program responsibilities include:

  • Monitoring disease outbreaks
  • Monitoring reportable disease rates
  • Providing education to the public and medical community to prevent the spread of disease
  • Implementation of and enforcement of control measures to prevent the spread of infection.
  • Control and prevention of rabies and other diseases of animal origin that can affect humans.

Rabies is a vaccine preventable disease in humans, dogs, cats and ferrets as well as some domestic livestock. All mammals are susceptible to rabies and it is nearly always fatal. Rabies can be prevented in humans with timely and appropriate treatment. In North Carolina the disease most often occurs in wild animals especially skunks, raccoons, bats and foxes. Raccoon rabies is present in the raccoon population in virtually every North Carolina county. For additional information on Rabies please visit:

STD Health Services

STD and HIV prevention and control services includes providing clinical services, education and awareness efforts and monitoring disease trends through surveillance and epidemiology. STD Clinic provides testing, treatment and education at no cost to the client for:

  • Syphilis
  • Gonorrhea
  • Chlamydia
  • HIV / AIDS
  • Other sexually transmitted infections

NC DHHS STD/ HIV Information for Individuals and Families


Our Immunization Clinic provides vaccines to people of all ages, including those traveling internationally. Public Health offers vaccines for preventable diseases to reduce the spread of vaccine-preventable diseases within Union County. The following vaccines are offered through our immunization clinic:

  • Gardasil
  • Hepatitis A (Adult) – 2 shot series
  • Hepatitis A (Pediatric)
  • Hepatitis B – 3 shot series
  • Meningococcal Vaccine
  • MMR
  • Twinrix – 3 shot series
  • Pentacel
  • Typhoid
  • Polio
  • Varicella
  • Tdap
  • Yellow Fever

In addition to vaccines, Blood Titer testing is available for the following:

Spanish Immunization Schedule (adults)

International Travel Immunizations

With the mission of public health to promote health, prevent disease and protect the community, International Travel Immunizations allow us to assist those traveling internationally the opportunity for disease protection. A Registered Nurse will review travel itinerary, provide immunization education and vaccination(s). A Vaccination record will be provided to you for your records.

Union County Lost and Found Pets

Online Search Instructions

Performance Guarantee Review Application

Filing an Assumed Name

Before any sole proprietorship, general partnership or corporation and limited liability companies doing business under an assumed name or DBA engages in business in North Carolina, the business name must be properly registered.To register your business name, you must file the form with the Register of Deeds office in the county or counties where you will do business.There is no statewide name registration for sole proprietorships, general partnerships or corporations and limited liability companies doing business under an assumed name or DBA.

Business names for limited partnerships, LLCs, LLPs and corporations are registered with the North Carolina Secretary of State’s office in the Corporations Division.You may contact them at 919-814-5400 or

After you decide what type of business you are registering, you will need to come in our office and perform a name search to determine if the proposed business name has already been filed.The Register of Deeds office cannot perform the name search for you, but we will be glad to assist you.After you have performed the name search, you will need to complete the form and have it notarized before a notary public.The Register of Deeds office does not have a notary available in our office, but you may get it notarized at your bank.The fee for registering your form is $26.00.Once the form is filed in our office, you will then need to either visit the Tax Assessor’s office or give them a call at 704-283-3746, so they may ask you some further questions.

Effective July 1, 2015, there is no local-level business licensing.BUT there are other requirements that remain for a business to operate in North Carolina.It is still important for businesses to do the following:

  1. Register with the local County Register of Deeds or with the North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State.
  2. Obtain an Employer Identification Number for tax information. (
  3. If selling products, obtain a sales/wholesale number for sales tax compliance. (
  4. Research zoning by checking with the City or County where the business is located for any special rules and regulations.
  5. Acquire appropriate occupational and state licenses, depending on the industry.

Be sure to read the information on the following website provided by Business Link North This website goes into more detail about starting a new business.

Various forms are shown below and may be downloaded for your convenience: