Skip to content

Union County, North Carolina

Image banner

Clerk of Courts

Clerk of Superior Court

J.R. Rowell
Phone: 704-698-3100
Fax: 704-698-3101


Phone: 704-292-2746

See full contact directory

What clinical services do we provide?

  • Children’s Health
  • Women’s Health
  • General Health
  • WIC
  • Medical Records

What community services do we provide?

  • ABC (About Breast Cancer)
  • Breast Feeding Peer Counselor
  • Care Coordination for Children
  • Child Care Health Consultant Program
  • Community Health Education
  • Parenting with a Purpose
  • Pregnancy Care Management
  • Public Health Preparedness
  • Vital Records

What are Union County’s privacy practices?

All patient services are confidential as required by North Carolina and federal law.

Communicable Disease Control Program

Communicable disease is defined as "illness due to a specific infectious agent or its toxic products that arises through transmission of that agent or its products from an infected person, animal, or reservoir to a susceptible host, either directly or indirectly through an intermediate plant or animal host, vector, or the inanimate environment." Communicable disease pathogens include bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and prions.

Communicable diseases can have a significant impact on the population. The surveillance and control of such diseases is an important part of protecting the public's health. The Communicable Disease program primarily deals with infectious diseases that are reportable by law.

The program also deals with other communicable diseases of public health significance, such as:

  • Influenza
  • Norovirus infection
  • Certain healthcare-associated infections.

For additional information please visit the NC Communicable Disease website.

The program responsibilities include:

  • Monitoring disease outbreaks
  • Monitoring reportable disease rates
  • Providing education to the public and medical community to prevent the spread of disease
  • Implementation of and enforcement of control measures to prevent the spread of infection.
  • Control and prevention of rabies and other diseases of animal origin that can affect humans.

Rabies is a vaccine preventable disease in humans, dogs, cats and ferrets as well as some domestic livestock. All mammals are susceptible to rabies and it is nearly always fatal. Rabies can be prevented in humans with timely and appropriate treatment. In North Carolina the disease most often occurs in wild animals especially skunks, raccoons, bats and foxes. Raccoon rabies is present in the raccoon population in virtually every North Carolina county. For additional information on Rabies please visit:

STD Health Services

STD and HIV prevention and control services includes providing clinical services, education and awareness efforts and monitoring disease trends through surveillance and epidemiology. STD Clinic provides testing, treatment and education at no cost to the client for:

  • Syphilis
  • Gonorrhea
  • Chlamydia
  • HIV / AIDS
  • Other sexually transmitted infections

NC DHHS STD/ HIV Information for Individuals and Families


Our Immunization Clinic provides vaccines to people of all ages, including those traveling internationally. Public Health offers vaccines for preventable diseases to reduce the spread of vaccine-preventable diseases within Union County. The following vaccines are offered through our immunization clinic:

  • Gardasil
  • Hepatitis A (Adult) – 2 shot series
  • Hepatitis A (Pediatric)
  • Hepatitis B – 3 shot series
  • Meningococcal Vaccine
  • MMR
  • Twinrix – 3 shot series
  • Pentacel
  • Typhoid
  • Polio
  • Varicella
  • Tdap
  • Yellow Fever

In addition to vaccines, Blood Titer testing is available for the following:

Spanish Immunization Schedule (adults)

International Travel Immunizations

With the mission of public health to promote health, prevent disease and protect the community, International Travel Immunizations allow us to assist those traveling internationally the opportunity for disease protection. A Registered Nurse will review travel itinerary, provide immunization education and vaccination(s). A Vaccination record will be provided to you for your records.

Union County Lost and Found Pets

Online Search Instructions

Performance Guarantee Review Application

Voting FAQs

How do I register to vote?

Registration application forms are available at the following locations:

  • All libraries in Union County
  • All high schools
  • All post offices and town halls
  • The Board of Elections office at 316 B East Windsor St in Monroe
  • Complete the application online
  • Mail to P.O. Box 1106, Monroe NC 28111

When are the primaries in Union County held?

Primaries are normally held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in May of even numbered years and the second primary (run-off, if required) is seven or ten weeks later.

How can I learn more about the candidates?

By contacting the individual party headquarters:

Democratic Party

Nancy Rorie, Chairman
224 Trinity Ch Rd
Monroe, NC 28112
Home Phone: 704-764-3785
Cell Phone: 704-219-8821

Libertarian Party

Tom Hohman
10400 Waxhaw Manor Dr.
Waxhaw, NC 28173

Republican Party

Daniel Barry, Chairman
8207 Lake Providence Dr.
Matthews, NC 28104
704-287-8256 cell
704-556-4106 work

How can I vote if I will be out of Union County on Election Day?

I-You may request an absentee ballot by mail, e-mail or by fax. Simply complete an ABSENTEE Ballot Request form available on our website or from our office.

II-Or, you may vote during the “One-Stop Voting” prior to Election Day. Visit our website for scheduling.

Can I vote early? When? Where? Hours?

Any voter in the county may vote early at any “One-Stop Voting” location (see our web site for locations and hours). There is no One-Stop voting on the Monday before Election Day. All voters who have not voted by close of “Early Voting” on the Saturday before the election must go to their assigned precincts on Tuesday (Election Day) to vote.

How can I find where I should vote?

How many precincts are there in Union County?

There are 52 precincts in Union County.

See precinct locations

I would like to work at the polls on Election Day and want to know how to apply?

  • Call the Chairman of your party and request to work
  • Fill out and submit the Precinct Official application
  • By calling the Board of Elections office at 704-283-3809

If I am 17 years old, when can I register to vote?

If you will be 18 years old on or before the General Election you may register and vote in the Primary Election. You will not be allowed to vote in the Primary for any “special referendums” that would be on the ballot.

What is the date of the General/Presidential Election?

The General or Presidential Election is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of even numbered years. The Presidential Election is every four (4) years and the last Presidential Election was in 2016.

How do I change my address if I have moved?

When you move within a county, you should complete an in-county change of address. This can be completed on your voter identification card, a signed letter to your local board of elections, or on the form specified above.

When you move from one county to another, you will need to apply for voter registration in your new county of residence. Use the form specified above, request that an application be mailed to you, or pick up a form at any local board of elections or public library. Note that when you move within the State, the law requires that you update the address on your driver's license within 60 days. When you obtain a duplicate drivers license, you may also elect to update your voter registration information as well.

More information

When is the last day to register to vote?

Registrations and changes must be made twenty-five (25) days before each election.

How do I change my party affiliation?

A voter registration form is used to change your party affiliation. This change must be made twenty-five (25) days before the election. Please do not fax party changes, we must have voter’s original signature to process the application.

Do I need a voter card to vote?

No voter card is required to vote in North Carolina

If I am registered “Unaffiliated”, can I vote in the Primary Election?

Yes, you may vote. In the Primary, “unaffiliated” voters may choose a party (Democratic, Libertarian or Republican). If there is a second primary (run-off), unaffiliated voters will vote the same party chosen in the Primary.

I was convicted of a felony and have served my sentence as required by law. Can I register to vote?

Yes, a felon whose rights have been restored may register and vote.

I have registered to vote, so will I receive a Voter Registration Card?

Yes, you will receive a voter Registration card in about two weeks after your registration is received at the Board of Elections’ office.

Where can I find a sample ballot?

You may view or print a copy of your sample ballot by checking your voter information

What hours are the polls open on Election Day?

The polls are open from 6:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. on Election Day

Do I have to show my ID at the polls?

Please visit for more information.